two name servers on one Raq?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Feb 9 18:27:03 UTC 2001

>> I'm using Bind 8 and running the standard Cobalt set-up named service on
>> it's first network port. I understand that I can set-up a second named
>> service on my Raq's second network port but I'm a little unclear how to
>> configure Bind to do it.

First of all, don't put crap in your mail headers. It doesn't prevent
spam. All it does is make it difficult or impossible for everyone on
this *mailing list* to reply to you.

To answer your question, please think about why you're recommended to
have at least two name servers for your zones. The whole idea is to
prevent a single point of failure. If one of your name servers is dead
or unreachable, there should be at least one somewhere else which
isn't and can answer lookups for names in your zones. Using the second
network interface on your computer is not at all suitable: this just
means that computer is still a single point of failure. In fact, you
wouldn't be able to make one name server master and slave (primary and
seconday) for the same zone anyway. Well I suppose you could run and
configure two name server processes, one listening on each interface.
But that would be pointless for the scenario you describe because the
one box that runs the two processes is still a single point of
failure.