domain name to ipadress

Ben Weaver w at tranquility.net
Sun Feb 11 04:27:16 UTC 2001

Hmm... Maybe my email was a bit rough.  I wasn't really trying to make people upset either.  I'll try to keep my future emails to the list a little less brash.

As to the amount of time it took, I guess what I was trying to do with my email is get the guy to realize that answers to questions like that are readily available on lots of websites, in books, etc.  Sometimes all it takes is for someone to get an email like that and then it clicks in their head: "Oh yea, I can look for documentation online or read manpages before posting a question to a mailing list".

If I were him, I'd much rather someone tell me that I should go read the manual in the rudest possible way than just answer my question.  That way, I not only find the answer to the question I had, but I also learn the answers to other questions and where to look when I have questions in the future.

In retrospect, I could have gotten the message across in a kinder, more helpful way.  Thanks for calling my attention to this, and I will try not to "rant" at people on this list in the future.

-Ben