Decode "Permission Denied" Message

Traynham.Ken at epamail.epa.gov Traynham.Ken at epamail.epa.gov
Sun Feb 11 23:17:58 UTC 2001

Can someone help me decode the following message which is showing up in our
newly-updated BIND 8.2.3 servers over 100 times an hour?

Feb 11 13:01:15 rtdhcp01 named[7081]: tcp_send: bind(query_source):
Permission denied

The daemon is running as user and group named and apparently unable to
access a tcp resource, but why?  what resource?  what can be done about it?
and what can I go to get more info?

AFAIK, no TCP/IP resources are being allocated after the daemon starts.
There is only one IP interface on the box.  The query-source port is pinned
to 53.  We have now updated three machines and are getting this message on
the two of them that are permmitted through the firewall.  Thinking back,
we didn't see these right away after upgrading the first machine - they
started a day or so later after the firewall was updated.  Does anyone see
a connection there?

Thanks for any ideas.

Ken Traynham