Win2K prof and Bind 8.2.3. Win2K nslookup vs supplied nslookup behavior

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Feb 12 00:49:14 UTC 2001

At 01:07 PM 2/10/01, MindSpring wrote:
>supplied nslookup
>----------------------
>F:\WINNT\system32\dns\bin>nslookup
>Default Server:  localhost
>Address:  127.0.0.1

         On Win2K, the BIND version of nslookup uses the resolv.conf file to find
the IP address of nameservers. The code isn't there to correctly look for it in the
registry. On NT, if the resolv.conf does not exist it will find it in the registry.
resolv.conf needs to be in \systems32\drivers\etc.  Apparently, you have
the local machine as the first IP nameserver address.

>----------------------
>Win2k nslookup
>----------------------
>F:\>nslookup
>*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.248: Non-existent domain
>*** Default servers are not available
>Default Server:  UnKnown
>Address:  192.168.1.248

         There's no PTR record for 192.168.1.248 so it fails to get the name
of the IP server.

> > exit
>
>F:\>\winnt\system32\dns\bin\nslookup
>Default Server:  localhost
>Address:  127.0.0.11.248

         I don't know what you did here.

>All seems to be fine with bind, it is just this anomaly on nslookup.  Anyone
>have any idea what I have done wrong?

         Danny