bind 9.1

meganet DOMAINREG domainreg at meganet.net
Wed Feb 14 20:39:10 UTC 2001

I have been slowly upgrading my name servers to bind 9 from 8. One primary
and 2 secondaries. The secondaries are working great, however my primary
server once in awhile will stop answering queries. When I look at the log
file I can't seem to find anything wrong or why it suddenly stops answering
queries, I see the usual "update denied" and "lame server" entries. When I
try using nslookup, it times out telling me no server was found, but if I
look at whats running with ps aux I see named running. To get around this I
simply have to stop/start bind. It's working great now but no telling for
how long. Has anyone come across this problem?
Another thing is I notice that bind 9 spawns itself 4 times, is this really
necessary? Top shows me 4.5% of mem being used for each, I do have half a
gig of ram on this machine and the only other thing running is sendmail.

This is running on an alpha with kernel 2.2

TIA, Paul