unable to compile/install bind 9.1.1rc2

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Feb 15 21:14:19 UTC 2001

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 03:13:14PM -0500, Felecia Thompson wrote:
> Scenario:  I'm trying to compile bind 9.1.1rc2 on a solaris 2.6 machine (no prior version of bind is on this server).
> My env variable for cc is set to CC=/usr/local/bin/cc.  I have edited my PATH statement to include pathing to /usr/ccs/bin/make and have exported both variables.
>
> When I execute configure, it errors as follows:
>
> # ./configure --prefix=/infosys/named
> checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.6
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... ./configure: make: not found
> no
> checking for ranlib... :
> checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
> checking for ar... no
> configure: error:
> ar program not found.  Please fix your PATH to include the directory in
> which ar resides, or set AR in the environment with the full path to ar.
>
> What am I doing wrong and what is AR???

The program 'ar' stands for archiver, and is used to put together
binary modules into loadable libraries that can be used by the linking
loader, 'ld'.  The 'ld' program copies only those binary modules needed
by a program from the library into the program itself.

You will also find 'ar' and many other useful programs in
/usr/ccs/bin/.  I made symbolic links for them all back into /usr/bin/.
Not everybody finds that solution appropriate.

Unfortunately, Sun is not reasonable enough to put 'cc' there.  If you
are using Sun 'cc', it will typically be installed somewhere in /opt/.
I would use a symbolic link to put it in /bin, where it belongs; others
might do something else.  If you have not purchased Sun 'cc', then you
must use GNU C, 'gcc'.  It will probably be in /usr/local/bin/gcc.  You
may have to go out and get it.

Hope this helps.

How did you manage to install a Solaris with no previous version of
BIND?  It's part of the SUNWcsu package.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B