Dynamic Update NS record

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 15 00:59:06 UTC 2001

I assume this is the BIND 8 nsupdate, right?

In that case, the problem is that when you add the first NS record, you create
a zone cut. Subsequent attempts to add NS records with the same name try to
add them in the *child* zone, not the parent. The NS records you're trying to
add to the parent zone probably already exist in the child, so effectively
they are ignored.

The BIND 9 nsupdate supposedly has the ability to specify which zone to make
the update in.

- Kevin