What happens when both nameservers are down?

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Fri Feb 16 10:14:16 UTC 2001

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 09:24:18AM +0100, Venkatesh MaduraiSubramanian wrote:
> I don't know if adding a $TTL line at the top, before the SOA records
> would result in the DNS servers of the world caching the info for the
> value specified in the TTL. Are there other ways to do this?

$TTL sets the default Time To Live. Record sets without an explicit Time
To Live defined in the zone file will be served out with the default
Time To Live. A well behaved cache will store record sets for until the
Time To Live expires.

> The main objective is to ensure that emails do get delivered (most
> SMTP would try for 5 days). If the server is down and IP/MX info are
> missing then the emails will definitely bounce.

Nonsense. The vast majority of mail servers in use on the 'net are
queueing mail servers. If there is a temporary error, mail gets queued.
'No DNS server responded' is a temporary error.

> Idea: Would specifying my hosting provider's secondary name server
> help? (this is normally running more frequently than my server)

Yes.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Venkatesh

What MUA are you using, and why is it inserting entire lines of space
characters?

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's