version question

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Feb 16 22:35:09 UTC 2001

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 03:06:18PM -0600, Timothy.Moseley at hurlburt.af.mil wrote:

> I did the which and the find, the which comes back with
> /usr/local/sbin/named and the find comes back with the one in the sbin dir
> and also the ones in the actual build dir /bind/bind823/src/..(you know what
> I mean). This just doesn't make any sense what so ever. Two other machines
> with same upgrade both work and report correct version, this one runs the
> correct version according to the logs but still reports wrong version when
> named -v is ran. A process show w/ a grep on named comes back with
> /usr/local/sbin/named and the grep on named but shows no other named
> executable running.???? The only reason I am pursuing this, as you can tell
> by address, mil is very strict when it comes to versions. This machine must
> show version correctly.

Then check your running versions correctly.  'named -v' is NOT the way
to do it.

dig txt chaos version.bind @your.server.name

	OR

nslookup -type=txt -class=chaos version.bind your.server.name

As someone mentioned, delete or chmod 444 all copies of 'named' or
'in.named' that are not currently running.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B