Root zone timeout and workarounds?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 20 03:46:19 UTC 2001

I think the changelog says it all. The main thing is that forwarders are supposedly
adaptive in 8.2.3 (as opposed to always going sequentially, named 8.2.3 now keeps
track of RTT for forwarders just like it does for iteratively-queried nameservers).
I also seem to remember some bugfixes in the later 8.2.2 versions wrt forwarding...

Personally, I don't like the forwarding mechanism very much, and we (the Chrysler
Group part of DaimlerChrysler) don't use it except in the very limited situations
where it is absolutely necessary. So I haven't actually experienced any of the bugs,
nor have I verified directly that 8.2.3's adaptive forwarding even works. I'm just
going by the changelog.

- Kevin