Scared to upgrade from 8.2.2-P5-NOESW to 8.2.3

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Feb 21 18:58:17 UTC 2001

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:52:53AM +0000, bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote:
> Scared s**tless... to upgrade from  8.2.2-P5-NOESW to 8.2.3
> os == freeBSD 3.4, I downloaded the Source
> did a 'make depend' and a 'make' then 'make all'
> with no errors, the 8.2.2-P5 binaries are in
> /usr/local/sbin and the config file is
> /etc/namedb/named.conf
> I am scared to do a make install, when I uprade
> apache I just copy the httpd binary and can revert
> back quick if it doesent work... can I do that with
> the named binary too? or do I need to make install
> for all the other libs n stuff thats there?
> And How am I sure I have the right paths and such
> for the new version.

Too scared to include a proper return address, eh?

In Makefile.set, add the DESTDIR parameter, setting it to something
like /var/tmp/8.2.3.  Once you run 'configure' this way, it will
install into /var/tmp/8.2.3/usr/... instead of into the system
directories.  This will allow you to (a) see what files are installed,
(b) decide which ones you will install [the .h, .a, and .so files are
nice but not necessary in a non-development environment], and (c) save
the old copies thereof.

Don't be scared.  Go in there and do it.

[Since you've already configured and compiled, I'm sure there's a way
to fake having had DESTDIR set in your original configure ... I've done
it ... I just don't have time to look up what it was right now.  Check
with a 'make -n install' to see where it goes.  Or you could do that,
wading through the reams of output, to see where things get installed
without actually installing them anywhere.]

> I added '$TTL 8640' to the top of all the zone files
> and everything still seems to work ok.

One would hope it would.  Did you have 'named' read it back in?

OBTW ... 8640 == 2hr 24min 0sec.  Are you sure you wouldn't rather have
86400 == 1day?  ;-)

[OK, I went away and came back and noticed that you can add the setting
for DESTDIR into the ".settings" file in your src directory.  I knew it
was something simple like that that you could have figured out in 5
seconds anyway.]

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B