nslookup issues on hp-ux

Praveen Kumar Amritaluru praveen at india.hp.com
Fri Feb 23 09:24:37 UTC 2001

> At 06:33 22.02.2001 -0800, you wrote:
>

> >Okay, now I'm really confused. I thought nslookup called resolver
> >routines, which are supposed to check /etc/nsswitch.conf. The libbind.a
> >looks like it compiles its own versions of the resolver routines, then
> >gets linked into nslookup. So it is not using the native resolver routines
> >from HP-UX, which, according to the man pages, go to nsswitch.conf to see
> >where to resolve from. Also, both texts I consulted ("DNS and BIND, 3rd
> >Ed." and "(The Concise Guide to) DNS and BIND") describe this resolver
> >behavior, that nslookup uses the resolver to find which service to use
> >(files, DNS or NIS). I'm very confused at this point and don't know what
> >to believe...

	Still  nslookup  that  comes up with HP's  distribution  will be
	following /etc/nsswitch.conf file. If you want the latest version
	of nslookup, then try downloading BIND 8.1.2 on HP-UX available
	at http://www.software.hp.com.

	But  the  public   domain   nslookup   code  does  not  use  the
	/etc/nsswitch.conf file and more over the nslookup is built from
	static library  libbind.a which does not read the  nsswitch.conf
	file.  nslookup  that you were using  earlier  should be working
	well with new version of BIND.

	Public domain  nslookup code should be doing this  modification,
	as IP add.  -  hostname  information  is stored not just in DNS,
	but also in FILES & NIS.

Praveen