Help: setting a CNAME record for the domain

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sun Feb 25 10:35:35 UTC 2001

    Tal> We are suing named 8.1.1 on Redhat 6.2

    Tal> We try to set in the zone file of the domain 'teiko.com' the
    Tal> following CNAME record:

    Tal> teiko.com.  CNAME teiko.ontero.net.

You can't do tht if the name teiko.com has any other resource records:
like NS records or a SOA record for example.

    Tal> but get the error:

    Tal> teiko.com has CNAME and other data (invalid)

Correct. A name can only exist as a CNAME if it doesn't exist as any
other record type. Well for Secure DNS, the name can have a SIG and
NXT record as well as the CNAME.

    Tal> When we change the CNAME record to an A record:

    Tal> teiko.com.  A 205.162.50.66

    Tal> It works just fine. Are we doing anything wrong ?

This is the right thing to do when it comes to setting up the zone
file. I presume you're trying to arrange that a lookup of teiko.com
returns some pointer to your web site. ie the A record above contains
the address of your web server.

You are doing something wrong. You're running BIND8.1.1. It's an old
version with known security holes. Upgrade to 8.2.3. And take a look
at:
	http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html