DNS & MS 2000

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Wed Feb 28 18:54:43 UTC 2001

>I have been running a DNS server on Linux Slackware since 1996 and never
>had any problems. I recently installed an MS 2000 Server on our network
>and within a few days my DNS started acting flaky and I had to reboot
>the DNS server.

upgrade to 8.2.3-REL

>  It has now happened twice more in two weeks. I noticed
>that I was receiving "unapproved update from [192.192.123.123]" in my
>Linux messages file. That address is the address of my new MS 2000
>server. I am highly suspicious of MS 2000 and, in hindsight, probably
>would not have implemented it. However, I am now stuck with the 2000
>server and need to find out if it is the problem and, if so, what can I
>do about it. Anybody have any suggestions?

On the W2K machine, futz around in tcp/ip advanced until you uncheck
the "update DNS" box, to stop the dynamic DNS.  MS, in all their
systems design wisdom, chose the wrong default.

I also learned today that the set 42 days as the default password
lifetime on W2K professional, even if you don't use passwords.  Great stuff!!

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : Binary for ISC BIND 8.2.3 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways