W2K SRV records and BIND

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 3 01:21:42 UTC 2001

News Account wrote:

> Actually I think that the W2K is flawed, but I meant just that.  The master
> DNS Bind zone update can only return a partial listing becuase of the flaky
> way that windows SRV records are stored.

What do you mean by a "partial listing" in the "zone update"? Are you talking
about the zone transfer process between the master and the slave? There would
be no reason why BIND would omit SRV records from a zone transfer. You can
test this yourself by doing a query of type "axfr" using "dig", or an "ls
-d" using "nslookup" (make sure the query is sent to an authoritative server
when you do this, and, in the case of using the BIND server, make sure the
client isn't disallowed by an "allow-transfer" clause). The output you get
should include the desired SRV records (if you're running an old version of
nslookup, they might show up as unparseable "type 33" records, but should be
present nonetheless). If the SRV records are missing, then query for those
records explicitly. If they're not there, presumably it's because Win2K
deleted them. That's not a BIND problem.

> Maybe my problem is that the Bind
> server is not sending dynamic updates, how would I do that?

If the BIND server is the master, it has no business *sending* Dynamic Updates
for the zone. Or, again, are you referring to the zone transfer process?
That's not done with Dynamic Update.

- Kevin