Finding Multiple domains from IP?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jan 5 15:07:15 UTC 2001

In article <9336tp$ag9 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <cnewell at mosaicvp.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am wondering if there is a way to find all the domain names that are
>pointing to a single ip address.
>
>ie, mail.xyz.com 198.15.125.11
>    www.xyz.com 198.15.125.11
>    outlook.xyz.com 198.12.125.11
>
>Just using the IP address, can I tell that mail, www and outlook all
>point to that IP?

Any domain could have an A record pointing to that address.  To get a
complete list you would have to search the entire DNS hierarchy, which is
generally not possible (many DNS servers restrict who can perform zone
transfers).  The only names you can find without an exhaustive search are
the ones that have PTR records in the reverse domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA