negative cache problem

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jan 5 22:59:53 UTC 2001

In article <935ici$422 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <atom at suspicious.org> wrote:

>> >is there any way to solve this without scripting, or creating entries
>> >for all domains hosted by isp2.com????
>> >
>> >is there a way that BIND can see that one of the name servers for the
>> >domain is itself, then ask the OTHER name server, and cache that
>answer?
>>
>> BIND can do that.  The reason it doesn't is because the queries that
>come
>> to the authoritative servers normally don't have the "Recursion
>Desired"
>> flag set.  Since the client specifically said *not* to perform a
>recursive
>> query, it doesn't.
>>
>> When the server gets a query like this, and it doesn't have the answer
>in
>> its cache, it returns a "Server Failed" status code to the client.
>=================
>is there a way to 'force' it to look up the name somewhere else? then
>cache the answer?

No.  It does what it's told.  If the client said it didn't want recursion,
it's because the client is a recursive server and it will query the other
servers itself.

>is it possible to have a long TTL for cached queries, and a short time
>(1sec or so) for negative-cache?

What negative cache entry are you talking about?  The only time a negative
cache entry is created is when a server receives an authoritative response
indicating that the record doesn't exist.  No negative cache should be
created when a SERVFAIL error occurs.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA