BIND DNS and Win2K stations..help, please?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jan 5 23:21:54 UTC 2001

Okay, you say that the calendar server has the name "calendar" on the inside
and "calendar.domain.com" on the outside. Unless you are running an internal
root server, "calendar", by itself, is not going to resolve at all. What's
most likely happening is that the Win2K is tacking something onto
"calendar" and trying to resolve that. E.g. "calendar.internal.domain.com"
or "calendar.otherdomain.com". You should determine exactly what the clients
*should* be querying to get the internal address.

Maybe the Win2K boxes are getting inconsistent default-domain information
from DHCP and that's why sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. This
is the only reason I can think of why you can fix the problem by renewing
the lease (unless someone has added a "calendar server" option to DHCP, in
which case maybe this problem isn't DNS-related at all). If my speculation
is true, then you need to diagnose and fix the DHCP problem.

Note that you could set up a real "split DNS" and in this way you could have
calendar.domain.com resolve differently on the inside than it does on the
outside; then you could use the same name anywhere and you wouldn't be at
the mercy of DHCP. But this would entail a significant amount of additional,
ongoing DNS maintenance, since external names would need to be maintained in
two different places.

- Kevin