Classless in-addr.arpa delegation

Robert Stoll bob at esr.com
Sat Jan 6 00:40:01 UTC 2001

Hi everyone,
   I'm looking for the best way to delegate part of an in-addr.arpa domain
to another name server.  Let me paint the picture for you:

   We have a CIDR block assigned from our ISP, for the sake of this message,
let's say its 172.16.0.0/18, which gives me 64 class C nets, 172.16.0.0 -
172.16.63.0.  I want a branch office to have complete control over one of
the class C address spaces.  Setting up the forward delegation is easy, but
what is the best way of delegating the reverse?  I've read through RFC 2317,
and I agree that it is pretty ugly, but since it is a couple of years old
I'm hoping there is a better way of doing it.

  I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had to do this, so I'm hoping one
of you can help me out.  Sample zone files would be appreciated. :-)

Thanks much.

Bob...