SMTP on port other than 25 through DNS???

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Jan 8 14:55:57 UTC 2001

Igmar Palsenberg <maillist at chello.nl> wrote:

>If people want to blaim anyone for this : shoot the spammers, shoot the US
>government for passing that idiot 'This message can not be considered spam
>because .... ' law.

The often-quoted "law", bill S.1618 was introduced into the US Senate
on Feb. 09, 1998.   It passed the Senate on May 12, 1998.  On Oct. 27,
1998 the bill was sent to a subcommittee in the House.  The Library
of Congress web site has no indication that the bill was passed by
the House, so it is NOT law.  Spammers quote one section of the law,
but in all the spam I have received where the "law" is quoted, the spam
does not abide by ALL of the provisions of the bill.  With the new
Congress, all of the existing unpassed bills from previous Congresses
are no longer on the table, unless someone in the current Congress
wants to re-submit one.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov