SMTP on port other than 25 through DNS???

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jan 9 15:18:37 UTC 2001

In article <93dv5d$mk5 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jeffrey C. Albro <jeff at velvet.antistatic.com> wrote:
>Some people who have posted on this thread seem to think that it is okay
>for ISPs to block access at will.  ISPs do not to this to block spam!

The claim is that they do it to prevent their customers from being used as
spam relays, not to prevent the customers from sending their own spam.

>They would have to block outgoing connections TO port 25.

Many ISPs do that as well.  There was a thread in comp.protocols.tcp-ip
about a month ago from a guy who was trying to connect to his company's
SMTP server (he didn't realize he could configure Outlook to use his ISP's
SMTP server while at the same time as it used his corporate POP server and
corporate email address in the From: line), and he couldn't because his ISP
(Mindspring, I think) was blocking connections to port 25.

>							    All this does
>is force people who want to control their e-mail on their own computer to
>pay extra.  It is extorsion, nothing more, nothing less.

Since most ISPs don't charge extra for use of their POP service, I don't
understand this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA