3 guick questions

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Wed Jan 10 14:31:10 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 03:00:55PM +0100, Marco Kammerer wrote:
> a.) Do I need to restart bind when I have added a entry in /etc/named.conf
> and made the appropriate /var/named/hostsfile ?
> example I add da zone hund.at, do i have to restart?

No; to get named to notice additions or deletions from the named.conf
you only need to use 'ndc reconfig'.

> b.) If i change a entry in a zone file and i increase the serial, do i also
> have to restart bind?

No; you only need to reload the particular zone.
Use 'ndc reload example.com', or 'ndc reload' to reload all zones.

> c.) how often and when are you going to restart bind? (cronjob)

Never under normal operation. Restarting means stopping named and
starting it again. You don't want to do this regularly.

> d.) Do I have to make the reverse file for alle the ipadresses i have used
> in my hostsfiles?

You should make reverse entries for all IP addresses used by hosts under
your control, provided the responsibility for announcing that
information has been delegated to you by your ISP/IP provider. Best talk
to them and see if they will delegate the reverse zone(s) for your IP
assignment.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "Managing 4000 customer domains with BIND has been a lot like