Another forwarders question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 11 23:15:02 UTC 2001

I suspect that you have the "forward first" behavior enabled (that's the
default if you don't specify "forward only") but do not have direct Internet
connectivity. If so, then your nameserver is going to be *constantly* trying
to contact the Internet root servers. The queries are probably triggering
attempts to contact root servers.

When you have "forward only" enabled, then the nameserver will use the
forwarders to get the root server information. It just does this once, and
then is satisfied.

- Kevin