Primary/Secondary DNs - Fault tolerance

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Mon Jan 15 11:04:43 UTC 2001

>I have 2 DNS servers, and two web servers on different ISP's.  I am
>trying to set it up so that if one ISP goes done, the secondary dns
>will be in effect and transfer to the secondary web server

Nothing is "transferred" in the case of one DNS becoming
unreachable.  If zone have been transferred and in sync, then the
reachable DNS's will answer.

>instead of the primary.

This action depends on the resolvers checking all NS's for zone, not
on any behavior of your DNS's.

>The problem is that secondary dns will only act as a slave.

to the outside world, all NS records auth for a zone are equals. the
master/slave, primary/secondary is behavior restricted among BIND machines.

>Any ideas on how to work this situation?  please respond via
>email

MS resolvers are known not to try any but the first NS.  Ask MS to
fix their software.

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : Binary for ISC BIND 8.2.3 T9B for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways