Use of MX Records

Matthew Thompson matthewt at fairplay.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 15:46:23 UTC 2001

>And if a machine doesn't run a mail server, you should never have an MX
>record that points to it.

Couldn't agree more to this one - we run a reasonable large daily news
mailing here and the amount of crap DNS setup's I've seen appauls me.

Consider the amount of traffic and time-to-error for a machine with an MX
record that just points to itself and no where else but runs do mail server.
Sendmail is going to try to deliver this mail for 4 days, lots of aborted
connections and DNS lookups.

Now consider not having an mx record for it - 1 DNS lookup, instant failiure
message, no external traffic.

M at t :o)