Use of MX Records

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 18 22:54:51 UTC 2001

In article <947reo$4fq at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>Actually, _DNS_and_BIND_ is a little confusing on this point. It literally says
>"..., it's still a good idea to have at least one MX record for each host",
>although admittedly it's in the context of delivering mail to hosts by either MX
>record, or, failing that, A record.

This is because it's common for configuration errors to result in the host
showing up in email addresses, i.e. mail from a user may show up as being
from user at host.domain.com instead of being rewritten as user at domain.com.
So it's a good idea to create an MX record for host.domain.com pointing to
the site's mail server, and configure the mail server to accept mail for
user@*.domain.com as a synonym for user at domain.com.

But since the host isn't running a mail server, it should *not* have an MX
record pointing to itself.

I believe h2n, for instance, has an option to create an MX record for each
host pointing to a common mail server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA