Problems with zone transfers

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jan 29 16:08:55 UTC 2001

    Alexander> I read through some of the previous messages and it
    Alexander> appears as if I get a "non-authoritative" answer,
    Alexander> something is screwed up with my zone files..  Anyway, i
    Alexander> have submitted my named.conf and one of the zone files
    Alexander> in question as a part of this message. If anybody can
    Alexander> help me figure out why this isn't working, I would be
    Alexander> very happy. As a side note, my named is running in a
    Alexander> chroot jail, so I don't know why it isn't logging, but
    Alexander> it isn't. I can't find any reason why this is the way
    Alexander> it is.

The zone file you showed looks OK, though you really should be
explicit about defining the internet class: IN. Your server at
64.81.58.232 is answering authoritatively for screamnet.com, so the
information you've supplied hasn't been all that helpful. Does the
master server report any errors when loading other zone files? If it
does, what are these messages and what's in the zone files they refer
to? If not, then the problem probably isn't on the master server.

If the slave server runs in a chroot()ed jail, that could be the
problem. Maybe there's no /usr/lib/named-xfer in the jail? Or maybe
some other files are missing from the chroot jail - eg a shared
library - which prevents named-xfer from running and so prevents the
slave from transferring zones from the master? What's in the slave
server's logs? it might be an idea to consult your local documentation
on how to set up an anonymous FTP server. This usually explains what
system files are needed in the chroot()ed environment.