BIND 9.1.0 eccentricities (non-auth replies and format errors)

Zarcone, Christopher Christopher.Zarcone at netigy.com
Wed Jan 31 17:38:57 UTC 2001

DNS Wizards,

I just upgraded to BIND 9.1.0 on a Sun server, and am seeing some bizarre
things. I scoured the man pages, HTML admin guide and ISC's website to no
avail. Maybe I'm just unusually dense this morning and couldn't find the
right documentation, but here goes:

1. Other than local authoritative data, every query automatically comes back
"Non-authoritative reply" even on the first attempt. It has been my previous
experience with BIND 8 that non-cached lookups come directly from the
authoritative source, which are summarily cached, and subsequent lookups of
the same name are "non-authoritative" and fed from the cache. Any ideas,
perhaps some sort of change in BIND 9?

2. Sniffer traces show an unusual number of format errors with DNS queries.
Usually the first query to a given name server will fail with this error,
but subsequent queries. My suspicion is that BIND 9 is using some new query
format that other servers don't understand, then reverts to a legacy query
format, but I haven't found any literature or documentation to support my
theory, and there are just too many RFCs to go through...

     server -> 202.12.27.33 DNS C  Internet NS ?
202.12.27.33 -> server      DNS R  Error: 1(Format Error)
     server -> 202.12.27.33 DNS C  Internet NS ?
202.12.27.33 -> server      DNS R  Internet NS C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
     server -> ns1.gnac.com DNS C www.isc.org. Internet Addr ?
ns1.gnac.com -> server      DNS R  Error: 1(Format Error)
     server -> ns1.gnac.com DNS C www.isc.org. Internet Addr ?
ns1.gnac.com -> server      DNS R www.isc.org. Internet CNAME isc.org.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,