ndc options for multiple named processes

Auteria Wally Winzer Jr. wally.winzer at ChampUSA.COM
Mon Jul 2 20:02:43 UTC 2001

I have 2 nameservers running on the same system.
One that delegates only (authorative ns) and the other that recurses
(internal ns).  Both processes are using ndc0 (authoritive)
and ndc1 (recursive) pipes.  Both nameservers are using separate
PID files and directories.  When I issue the ndc command to say,
restart the authoritive ns I type this:

ndc -c /usr/local/etc/ndc.d/ndc0 -t restart

Works as expected. Since named was compiled w/ named.conf
as its config file the controls directive points to ndc0, and my PID
file is pointing to a different filename from the default named.pid.

The recursive ns uses a separate conf file.  My named command
is the following:

/usr/local/sbin/named -c /usr/local/etc/named.dnspri-int.conf

This works as expected.  The problem is when I issue the ndc
command I want it to read the dnspri-int.conf file (recursive), and
not the named.conf (delegated).  I issue this command:

ndc -c /usr/local/etc/ndc.d/ndc1 -t restart

I get the following error within syslog:

Jul  2 12:44:53 Sun-E3000 named[15613]: ctl_server: bind:
/usr/local/etc/ndc.d/nd: Address already in use

The nameserver doesn't start.  It hangs before I have to log onto another
terminal and issue the kill command manually on the PID(s) in question.

Question is: How do I make ndc issue the
"-c /usr/local/etc/named.dnspri-int.conf" option? ndc already
has the "-c" option for channel.

One way that works is to do this:

ndc -c /usr/local/etc/ndc.d/ndc1 -t stop
/usr/local/sbin/named -c /usr/local/etc/named.dnspri-int.conf

In other words, I'd like to do everything within one command
and not having to type two commands.

Thanks.

Wally Winzer Jr.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature