BIND-8.2.4-REL-NT2 and 0.0.0.0

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Jul 2 21:24:23 UTC 2001

Michael Kjorling wrote:

> I am trying to get BIND 8.2.4-REL-NT2 to listen on the IP address
> 0.0.0.0 on a Windows 2000 server. This because that is the address dig
> uses unless I explicitly tell it otherwise, which is very tedious to
> do all the time.
>
> Windows has been told to use DNS services on the local computer,
> Microsoft's DNS has never been installed on that box (it is solely a
> statistics web server and BIND DNS server), but still dig refuses to
> use even 127.0.0.1 as default.
>
> Is there any way I can fix this, apart from making or possibly
> installing a short program which passes @127.0.0.1 unless a server is
> explicitly given?

    Create a resolv.conf file in system32/drivers/etc directory with the
entries:

domain whatever.domain
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 10.10.10.1

or whatever the address of your nameserver is.  You need to do this
as figuring out what the nameserver addresses are is a lot more
complicated
on W2K than on NT and the logic is not yet in the code to fetch the
information
from the Registry.

    Danny