win2k dropping local DNS server from server list if server goes down?

Jean-Christian Imbeault jean_christian at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 00:29:03 UTC 2001

>As much as I'd like to confirm Yet Another Bug in Win2K, I don't think this
>can
>really be called a "bug" since the order in which stub resolvers use
>nameservers is not defined by any standard, AFAIK.

I agree that the order might not be defined by any standard. I guess it was
just very misleading for win2k to actually write on the DNS entry screen
"DNS server addresses, in order of use". It was the "in order of use" that
got me thinking that this was an ordered list with entries at the top being
used first . . .

>On the other hand, you seem to have a fundamental problem with your
>DNS architecture -- the *same* answers should be available from
>*all* nameservers configured in any given stub resolver. Otherwise >you're
>bound to get inconsistent results sooner or later.

Sorry about this. I forgot to mention that my local DNS server only resolves
local names and forwards everything else to the ISP. The names it resolves
are for an internal LAN, hence aren't registered anywhere.

Jc