Round-Robin for mail/smtp hosts

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 4 02:07:52 UTC 2001

For *sending* mail, this isn't a problem at all. In fact, we use a
multiple-A-record name internally for all outbound SMTP connections from
browsers, Unix servers, mainframes and the like (our primary internal mail
system is *not* SMTP-based, so the traffic on this SMTP "side-channel" is low
enough that we don't require a more sophisticated load-balancing solution).

When you say "checking" mail, though, this implies remote access to a mailbox,
via POP or IMAP or whatever. In DNS terms, this doesn't matter, but in mail
terms you of course need to make sure that those mailboxes are shared properly
on the various server(s) included in that round-robin name, and can handle
potential conflicts, e.g. being updated in incompatible ways on two different
nodes simultaneously.

- Kevin