Big Help needed with MX (again)

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Jul 5 23:07:35 UTC 2001

At 9:56 AM -0700 7/5/01, BCC wrote:

>  What I need it to do is simply be a webserver, and forward email to an
>  exchange server on port 25.  Im going to assume that I must have named
>  running to forward email?

	No.  You don't need a nameserver on the machine for this function.

>                             If this is an incorrect assumption, I would
>  love to hear how else I can do it, as I dont care if this machine is
>  running named or not.  I have other nameservers I can use if need be,
>  and can re-register the domain with those servers.

	Change your /etc/resolv.conf to point to other
recursive/caching-only servers, and have other
authoritative-only/non-recursive servers set up to serve the domain.
Then turn off named on the local machine.

	Moreover, I would submit that you should probably have people
delivering directly to the appropriate mail server, and not routing
through the Unix box.  If there is a good reason for doing this, then
you want the simplest possible configuration, and the FAQ at
<http://www.sendmail.org/faq/> should be able to help you with this.

>  But if I must use named, can someone please spare a moment to look at
>  these config files and tell me what is wrong?  named locks up about once
>  a week, and uses 99% of the cpu and stops forwarding email.  The
>  extremely helpful responses from my earlier posts on this subject
>  clearly state that there is a major problem with DNS, but I need help
>  getting it straight.

	Which version of BIND are you running?  If it's not at least
8.2.4-REL or 9.1.2-REL, then you should upgrade.

	If you're running BIND 9, you should have the tools
named-checkconf and named-checkzone.  You should run these two
utilities on your /etc/named.conf and your various zone files,
respectively.  If they come up clean, then named should load them
okay.  There may be other issues keeping things from working quite
right, but at least named should load them.

	If you want to look at these other issues, you should run "doc"
and "dnswalk" on these zones.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */