Big Help needed with MX (again)

Gary Kline kline at ns1.thought.org
Fri Jul 6 01:19:55 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 01:07:35AM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 9:56 AM -0700 7/5/01, BCC wrote:

	[ ... ]

> 	If you're running BIND 9, you should have the tools
> named-checkconf and named-checkzone.  You should run these two
> utilities on your /etc/named.conf and your various zone files,
> respectively.  If they come up clean, then named should load them
> okay.  There may be other issues keeping things from working quite
> right, but at least named should load them.
>
> 	If you want to look at these other issues, you should run "doc"
> and "dnswalk" on these zones.

	This (at least named-checkzone) is interecting.  named-checkconf
	run against my /etc/namedb/named.conf exits cleanly.  But
	named-checkzone gives me some errors.  E.g.:

	# named-checkzone -d named.conf
	dns_master_load: named.conf:2: unexpected end of line
	dns_master_load: named.conf:2: unexpected end of input
	dns_zone_load: zone named.conf/IN: loading master file named.conf: unexpected end of input

	But things seem fine if I name an explicit zone and give the
	exact filename:

	# named-checkzone -d thought.org s/db.thought.org
	dns_master_load: s/db.thought.org:57: CNAME and other data
	dns_zone_load: zone thought.org/IN: loading master file s/db.thought.org: CNAME and other data

	Any suggestions on what's wrong with the first use?  Or shouldn't
	I be pointing named-checkzone at named-conf?!

	thanks for some light here,

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline    kline at thought.org  www.thought.org    Public service Unix