reverse zone for < class C???

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Fri Jul 6 02:55:54 UTC 2001

> Mark.Andrews at nominum.com writes:
>
> (snip about mail filtering and such)
>
> >	I recommend <start>-<end>.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa for the
> >	subzone name, rather than <start>-<masklen>.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa
> >	as the format is more general.  It's also less error prone
> >	as you will find if you read the other messages in the list
> >	this week.
>
> >	I also recommend that the servers for
> >	<start>-<end>.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa are also a servers for
> >	3.2.1.in-addr.arpa (official or stealth) so that the site
> >	can resolve names internally when the connection to the
> >	outside world is down.
>
> I think this is in the RFC, but more ISPs don't allow zone transfers,
> making it harder to do.
>
> -- glen

	If the ISP does not allow the customer to transfer the zone
	that covers his address space then it is time to find a
	new ISP.  If the ISP can't / won't provide basic support
	like this it's time to move onto a ISP that cares about
	it's customers.

	In general it is no more that adding a allow-transfer which
	covers the address range in addition to the slaves.  Perfectly
	automatible.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.