reverse zone for < class C???

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Jul 2 10:49:46 UTC 2001

At 6:10 PM -0500 7/1/01, Q wrote:

>  BTW I am running 8.2.3.  If I am correct that is the last 8x version.  I did
>  not upgrade to 9x yet because I am not having any problems and I wanted to
>  wait a while since it was a new version.  Do you have any thoughts on 9x, or
>  do you think 8.2.3 is fine?

	Actually, there are bugs in 8.2.3, and if you're going to stick
with version 8, you should upgrade to at least 8.2.4 (and be aware
that there is already an 8.2.5 in testing, which you may or may not
want to look at).

	However, well-formed configuration and zone files should work
unchanged in BIND 9, so it should not be difficult for you to make
the upgrade.  There are even a couple of additional tools
(named-checkzone and named-checkconf) to help you validate your zone
files and your configuration file, using the exact same routines that
BIDN 9 uses when it actually tries to load them.  If these two
utilities give you a clean bill of health, you should work just fine.

	I would encourage you to upgrade to BIND 9 as soon as you are
comfortable doing so, because BIND 8 is nearing the end-of-life
phase, and no new work will be done on it, and they may not fix minor
bugs (although they will probably continue to fix major bugs).

	With BIND 9, the latest release version is 9.1.2, with 9.1.3 in
the late stages of testing.  There is also a 9.2.0 version that is in
the early stages of testing.  I'd recommend that you try either
9.1.2-REL or the latest release candidate for 9.1.3 (which is
9.1.3-rc3, IIRC).

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */