Zone File - Help

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 15:40:45 UTC 2001

Eric Ward wrote:

> $TTL 43200

> root.dns1.taspco.com. (
>                         6282001         ; Serial Number

I'm guessing this is MDDYYYY maybe?! Try YYYYMMDDNN, where
NN is number of changes today.

The beauty of the YYYYMMDD system is chronological and
numeric orderings are the same, which is why people often
use it for BIND serial numbers, or filing records.

If you are using MDDYYYY this may explain the new record
problem.

>                         3600            ; Refresh
>                         900             ; Retry
>                         1209600         ; Expire
>                         43200   )       ; Minimum TTL

Are you sure this is minimum time to live, it may well be
the time to cache negative answers, depending on the version
of BIND.

Could explain a delay in seeing modified records on external
servers if you tried too soon.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?
www.eighth-layer.com