Zone File - Help

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Fri Jul 6 15:58:43 UTC 2001

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Eric Ward wrote:

> $TTL 43200
> ;
> ; Database file auntbees.com for auntbees.com zone.
> ;
> @		IN	SOA	dns1.taspco.com.
> root.dns1.taspco.com. (
> 			6282001		; Serial Number
> 			3600		; Refresh
> 			900		; Retry
> 			1209600		; Expire
> 			43200	)	; Minimum TTL
> ;
> ; Zone Records for auntbees.com.
> ;
> 			NS	dns1.taspco.com.
> 			NS	dns2.taspco.com.
> @			A	66.83.22.138
> www			A	66.83.22.138
> 			MX	10	168.215.185.50.
> mail			A	168.215.185.50
>

> What am I doing wrong with this zone file?  I am having a problem resolving
> new records and modified records from
> external servers.

I guess the SOA line is broken up because of wrapping in your mail-client.
Next to that, you are only allowed to have canonical names in MX Rdata,
not IP-addresses. Every resolver will treat "168.215.185.50." as a domain.
As there is no "50." top level domain, it does not resolve correctly.
This is not the cause of problems though.

I forget to update the serial of the SOA once in a while. Maybe you have
the same problem. If that is the case, changes will not propagate to the
secondaries.

Both nameservers (dns1 and dns2) give the same authoritative answers.
There seems to be nothing wrong with the apex records. The SOA is valid.

Regards

Roy Arends
Nominum