Does "@" in CNAME record not work?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Jul 13 17:10:27 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 08:22:08PM +0000, Jim Lum wrote:
> So, this still leaves me with the question about what to do, per my
> earlier post:
>
> > > So, if, as in my case, the name server and the web server and the base
> > > domain all have the same IP address (as in my case), and if the @
> > > doesn't work, and if the mydomain.com. doesn't work, and I don't want to
> > > use an A record, how can I assign an IP address to the base zone/domain
> > > name??
> > >
> > > In other words, I want something like:
> > >
> > > mydomain.com            192.168.0.4
> > > ns1.mydomain.com        192.168.0.4
> > > www.mydomain.com        192.168.0.4

You can't.  You must give up one of your tenets.  The only one that is
NOT part of the DNS protocol is the reluctance to use an A record.  It
is not clear why you have this reluctance, but that is the one you must
give up.  This is what many people are in fact using.

If you really, really, really want to use CNAMEs for the above, you
could do it like this:

$TTL	1d
@	SOA	...
	NS	...