changing IP block

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Jul 17 18:43:30 UTC 2001

>OK, I will forget the wide open Q and go the other way.  As I mentioned I
>am changing over to a new IP range so I thought I could just set up IP
>alias's on the NIC's of my two NS and then just do a bulk redeligation on
>the my domain and the domains I host/delegate.  It should not matter that
>my zones files are still using my old IP's as the world will be looking for
>my NS for the answers once the bulk redeligation goes thur.   If my zones
>are saying go to this IP from old range that are still working it should be
>sweet and when I change my zones over some time later to the new IP's it
>should still be sweet??
>
>I guess this all sounds too easy so I just want someone to agree or blow it
>out of the water.

Yes, it really is that easy.

Think about it this way: It's perfectly permissible (and encouraged)
to have DNS servers outside of your main subnet. A DNS server on one
subnet can give an answer that points to an address on another
subnet. It all works just fine.

All that matters is what your delegation says. And since you'll have
DNS servers available at both old and new IP's, all giving out the
same answers, there should be no problems.

Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com>

Men & Mice <http://www.menandmice.com/> offers:
  - DNS training, including Active Directory
  - QuickDNS, a DNS management system (now supporting Solaris)
  - DNS Expert, a DNS analysis and troubleshooting utility