newbie: win2k using cached DNS even after cache flushing

Jean-Christian Imbeault jean_christian at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 4 05:36:48 UTC 2001

Here's some more info in the hopes it helps.

>          What does ipconfig/all tell you and to what IP Servers?

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jc
        Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast
Ethernet
Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-B0-D0-2D-AD-CA
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

The DNS server listed is the one for our company's ISP. The local DNS server
for the LAN is 192.168.0.1 but I have removed it from the list for testing.
This is why I am surprised to find that the name "intranet" still resolves!

>Also http://intranet looks like a WINS address and not an IP address >and
>gets resolved by the WINS server.

True, but I haven't enabled WINS and I haven't given the client any WINS
addresses to use ... But you may be on to something because using
http://intranet resolves to an IP but using the FQDN doesn't. The same goes
for using ping with just "intranet" vs the FQDN.

>Also if the nameserver that you are using is NOT the same
>as the master or slave of the domain, then you need to wait for the >change
>to propogate to your own server.

This is not an issue. My problem is not that changes are not propagating but
that even when I shut down the DNS server my win2k machine still resolves
the name to an IP address. This even after I purge the win2k DNS cache using
ipconfig /flushdns.

You might be right about it using WINS or NetBEUI or something else since
the machine is named intranet and is also a Samba server with that same
name.

What I want to do is check that I can access machine just by using their
names, i.e. I don't have to type in a FQDN (hence hgttp://intranet and not
http://intranet.mydomain.com). But because win2k keeps remembering the IP
the name resolves to I can't see any changes I make.

Jc

Any ideas on how I can