difference in between my nameserver and mainly used nameserver...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jun 7 20:46:35 UTC 2001

The SOA numeric fields are only used for controlling master/slave
replication, and for establishing the "negative caching TTL" of records in
the zone. They don't affect how long names in the zone stay in other
nameserver's caches after they have been learnt. The TTL values on each
record (either set explicitly or via the default established by the
$TTL directive) govern how long the record is cached. A TTL (or $TTL) of 5
seconds, by the way, is very rude and anti-social. You are making every
nameserver that needs to resolve names in your zone work much too hard. At
the very least, just set the low TTL on your A records -- there's no need to
set the TTL so low on records that aren't changing frequently, such as your
SOA and NS records.

The bottom line here is that if you have a server that you want to be
reachable consistently, it should have a static address. Stop mooching off
everyone else's nameserver resources by setting ridiculously short cache
expiration times. Be a good net citizen.

- Kevin