nsupdate doesn't edit any files, right?

a a throwaway555 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 20:34:58 UTC 2001

Hi all,

This sounds like a total FAQ, but I've yet to see
anywhere that this question was answered specifically.

When you use nsupdate, it only updates zone
information in the running database of BIND, and does
not actually edit any zone files, right?  I've tested
nsupdate successfully, and I see that the DNS server
resolves my new entries, but no files have been
touched.

So if you had to restart DNS all updates via nsupdate
are lost?  Or is there some way to keep changes
persistent?

Thanks in advance!