nsupdate doesn't edit any files, right?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 11 22:56:34 UTC 2001

The files are immediately written to non-volatile storage and
periodically dumped to the zonefile name. For instance, on BIND 8, the
changes are immediately written to a ".log" file. I'm not 100% sure how
BIND 9 manages things. Assuming no corruption of the files, no disk
errors, etc., no updates are lost.

I'm always suspicious when people ask these types of questions, though.
When you migrate to using Dynamic Update, you should no longer rely on
using the disk files for finding out all information about the zone: the
running nameserver has the most up-to-date and consistently-formatted
view of the zone data, and you should be querying it instead of trying
to parse disk files.

- Kevin