Compile Problem - /lib/cylink/sha.c

Matt Prigge mprigge at pobox.com
Tue Jun 12 21:26:08 UTC 2001

Hey Folks,
    I have a compile problem that I am currently blaming on my own compiler
(or something specific to me at least), but I'd greatly appreciate any input
if anyone recognizes this problem since I cant seem to isolate it.
    In compiling 8.2.3 or 8.2.4 gcc goes completely nuts and soaks up about
210mb of free physical memory and another 250mb of VM before it dies saying
it doesnt have enough memory. It always does this at the same point in the
compile. If I try to compile 9.1.2 it fails at the same point (in a manner
of speaking) except rather than eating memory, it simply sits on the
processor ad infinitum.
    As I said previously, I am guessing that since I have never seen anyone
talk about this problem before, it is likely something specific to this
machine. However, I cant figure it out. My current guesses mostly center
around the compiler or thread support on the sparc platform. The thing that
really bothers me about this that this compiler has compiled lots of other
stuff (ssh, apache, php, etc) with little to no problem.
    I have snipped the make output heavily, if you need the full output, Id
be happy to provide it. Any help would be appreciated!

    Thanks!
        Matt

Platform:
    Red Hat Linux 6.2 (sparc64)
    Sun UltraSparc 5
    gcc 2.96 (from Rawhide 1.0)

8.2.3: (make clean; make depend; make)
[ ... SNIP ... ]

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mprigge/software/build/bind-8.2.3/lib/dst'
/home/mprigge/software/build/bind-8.2.3/lib/cylink
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/mprigge/software/build/bind-8.2.3/lib/cylink'

[ ... SNIP ... ]

gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -I../../port/linux/include -I../../include -O -g  -c
rand.c
ld -x -r rand.o -o rand.out && \
  mv rand.out rand.o
if test ! -d threaded ; then mkdir threaded ; else true ; fi
gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -I../../port/linux/include -I../../include -O -g  -D_REENT
RANT -c sha.c \
 -o threaded/sha.o
Virtual memory exhausted!
make[2]: *** [sha.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/mprigge/software/build/bind-8.2.4/lib/cylink'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mprigge/software/build/bind-8.2.4/lib'
make: *** [all] Error 1

9.1.2: (./configure; make)

gcc  -g -O2 -I/home/mprigge/software/build/bind-9.1.2 -I./unix/include -I./p
threads/include -I./include -I./include  -D_REENTRANT    -W -Wall -Wmissing-
prototypes -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings  -c sha1.c
(*** Hangs here indefinitely)