2.4 kernel and bind 8.2.3 - REL.

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Jun 25 10:12:11 UTC 2001

At 9:47 AM +0000 6/25/01, Willis L. Sarka wrote:

>  Ah, it seems that Bind should be able to handle Paul's configuration
>  admirably.

	Quite probably, yes.

>              What prompted my original response was the "Linux seems more
>  Microsoft like..." statement from Paul, and I *just* put a RedHat 7.1 box
>  running Bind 9.1.0 into service at my company over the weekend with no
>  problems whatsoever.

	However, keep in mind that there are some bugs in the older
versions of BIND 9.  I strongly suggest that you upgrade to at least
9.1.2-REL or the latest release candidate for 9.1.3.

>                        I felt the need to at least say "Hey, it works for
>  me", even if it is small potatoes compared to other folks. 8^)

	I'm glad to hear it works well for you.  I'm sure you're not at
all alone, but of course we don't normally hear from people where
it's working fine -- only those who have problems.

>  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bind 9 a total rewrite of the code
>  base?  Sharing no code whatsoever with the Bind 4 or 8 series?

	Yup, you're absolutely right.

>                                                                  After all
>  the exploits with the 8 series, and reading in an interview with Mr. Vixie
>  about how the Bind 9 stuff was "done right" (apologies to Paul Vixie if I
>  mangled this paraphrase) compared to the Bind 4 and 9 code, I sleep a
>  little better at night running Bind 9 instead of the older versions (still
>  chrooted, and all sane precautions taken, of course).

	No, I recall one of the first times I ever heard about BIND 9,
was when Paul was talking about this wonderful team of people he'd
built to do BIND, and then they'd gone off and been assigned the task
of rewriting BIND from the ground up (and making sure that the job
was "done right"), leaving him behind to be the only guy to handle
BIND 8.

	IIRC, Paul is still involved at some level with BIND 8, but I
believe that Mark Andrews is doing the bulk of the work there.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */