nslookup error? & IP specifying?

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Tue Jun 26 22:20:54 UTC 2001

FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ

Set up reverse DNS and/or use real tools. You won't find a carpenter
using glue and duct tape exclusively, nor will you find many here
thinking nslookup is a good tool to use for DNS debugging.

Besides, if you are really trying to use the IP 111.222.333.444, it's
no wonder it doesn't work!

Michael Kjörling

On Jun 26 2001 08:25 -0700, Jason wrote:

> When I use nslookup mydomain.com, I get
>    Server ns.mydomain.com
>    Address 111.222.333.444
>
>    .... error
>
>   ( I can't remember the exact message, but something
>      about can't find mydomain.com:  Non-existent domain
>      for hostname.mydomain.com
>

> When use dig www.mydomain.com, mail.mydomain.com,
> hostname.mydomain.com
> or nslookup www.mydomain.com, mail.mydomain.com, hostname.mydomain.com
> its seems fine
>
> I've used named-checkzone & named-checkconf, everything is okay.
> I've used the dig & DNS check tools at www.ip-plus.net, everything
> is okay except they say I need 2nd nameserver.
>
> If someone has time, can that someone check over my stuff at
> www.ip-plus.net
> or with some other tool they know of...
>
> my ip is 64.180.126.235
> and domain name is oddjobsbc.com
>
> I'm assuming there must be something WRONG because why isn't
> my nameserver proprogated yet?... its been more then a week
>
> ====================
>
> I was told this: ( registrars.com is my registrar )
>
> "registrars.com seem to have no capability to do things like this:
> Name server: ns.oddjobsbc.com 64.180.126.235
> i.e. it has no capability to allow specifying IP along with symbolic
> name of DNS server. "
>
> Is this neccessary, I thought the idea of proprogating you nameserver
> throughout the world was good enough?
>

> A big thank you in advance, for any help given!!!

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/