nslookup error? & IP specifying?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 26 22:19:39 UTC 2001

Okay, 64.180.126.235 can resolve "ns.oddjobsbc.com" but the
*existing* nameservers for oddjobsbc.com (ns3.zoneedit.com and
ns4.zoneedit.com) have no knowledge of the name. Can you add that name to
the zone on zoneedit.com's nameservers? If not, then you're in the
chicken-and-egg situation I mentioned in my previous post. How can you
break this cycle? Do you control any other DNS domain? If so, I'd add
some names to that other domain, change the oddjobsbc.co nameservers to
those names, and once that change has propagated, you can add
ns.oddjobsbc.com and [whatever you want to call your second nameserver
for the zone] to oddjobsbc.com, and then change nameservers again with
your registrar.

Yes, you really *do* need at least 2 nameservers for your zone. The last
thing my Internet nameservers -- and everyone else's Internet nameservers
-- need is to be doing is wasting resources trying to resolve names in a
domain that has a Single Point of Failure that happened to fail. The
Internet is not just a network; it's a community, and one of the
community rules is "at least 2 nameservers". Ignore or disobey that rule
at your own peril.

BTW, there are plenty of outfits who will provide "secondary" service
(they should really call it "slave" service, but I guess then they might
be confused with something sexual). I understand that some of them are
free, too.

- Kevin