Root servers question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Mar 8 23:03:09 UTC 2001

Root servers are not the same as TLD servers, and you shouldn't be trying
to do "transfers" (I assume you mean zone transfers) from *either* type of
server. The purpose of the high-level servers is only to provide referrals
to lower-level servers. You then query those lower-level servers for the
leaf-node information you need. It's called a hierarchy.

- Kevin