Premature EOF fetching "zone"

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Mon Mar 12 15:56:57 UTC 2001

As Jim Reid points out you have not given the gurus any real data to
work with.  I'm assuming that ul.ie is in some way related to the domain
of interest.  Here is what 'doc' reports.  Note the out of synch serial
numbers, the apparent lack of SOA, and the non-authoritative SOA error
messages.

Why not post the name.conf and syslog messages?

Regards,
Jim (not Reid)

Doc-2.1.4: doc -v -p ul.ie.
Doc-2.1.4: Starting test of ul.ie.   parent is ie.
Doc-2.1.4: Test date - Mon Mar 12 10:47:27 EST 2001
Note: Skipping parent domain testing
Found 4 NS and 2 glue records for ul.ie. @banba.domainregistry.ie.
(non-AUTH)
Using NSlist from parent domain server banba.domainregistry.ie.
NS list summary for ul.ie. from parent (ie.) servers
  == itdsrv1.ul.ie. mailgate.ul.ie. midir.ucd.ie.
  == ns2.unc.edu.
soa @itdsrv1.ul.ie. for ul.ie. serial: 2001030914
soa @mailgate.ul.ie. for ul.ie. serial: 2001030809
; Bad server: midir.ucd.ie. -- using default server and timer opts
soa @midir.ucd.ie. for ul.ie. serial:
ERROR: no SOA record for ul.ie. from midir.ucd.ie.
soa @ns2.unc.edu. for ul.ie. serial: 2001030809
ERROR: non-authoritative SOA for ul.ie. from ns2.unc.edu.
WARN: Found 2 unique SOA serial #'s for ul.ie.
Authoritative domain (ul.ie.) servers agree on NS for ul.ie.
ERROR: NS list from ul.ie. authoritative servers does not
  === match NS list from parent (ie.) servers
NS list summary for ul.ie. from authoritative servers
  == dns2.ul.ie. itdsrv1.ul.ie. mailgate.ul.ie.
  == ns1.ucd.ie.
Checking 1 potential addresses for hosts at ul.ie.
  == 136.201.1.3
in-addr PTR record found for 136.201.1.3
   WARNINGS issued for ul.ie. (count: 1)
Done testing ul.ie.  Mon Mar 12 10:47:38 EST 2001